Hi! Welcome to my blog. You can take your time reading my comments on quoted passages from classical novels. Now that I am working on "Far From the Madding Crowd"/Thomas Hardy (Bantam Classic). I am not a teacher nor a student, only a reader of a sort. I just want to share my delight, perception and thinking in reading classical novels. Let me give you a secret. This is the first time that I am doing such a literary work. I will be delightful to receive your comments.

25 Mayıs 2010 Salı

Page 3

"But there is a way some men have, rural and urban alike, for which the mind is more responsible than flesh and sinew: it is a way of curtailing their dimensions by their manner of showing them….Oak walked unassumingly, and with a faintly perceptible bend, yet distinct from a bowing of the shoulders." (p.3)

His posture gives some clues about his inner world, the way he perceives himself. He walks humbly, and unpretentiously. He doesn't count on his appearance or take advantage of his strong, vigorous figure to impress others. Ofcourse it doesn't mean that he is not interested in impressing the other sex by his appearance. Perhaps he hasn't lived such an experience yet. By bending his posture,he is expressing his modesty and unassertiveness towards the external world. Maybe we can say he is using his posture as a cover to conceal his true self or inner strength. He is contended with himself and conscious of his self value.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder