Hi! Welcome to my blog. You can take your time reading my comments on quoted passages from classical novels. Now that I am working on "Far From the Madding Crowd"/Thomas Hardy (Bantam Classic). I am not a teacher nor a student, only a reader of a sort. I just want to share my delight, perception and thinking in reading classical novels. Let me give you a secret. This is the first time that I am doing such a literary work. I will be delightful to receive your comments.

24 Mayıs 2010 Pazartesi




"He was at the brightest period of masculine growth, for his intellect and his emotions were clearly separated: he had passed the time during which the influence of youth indiscriminately mingles them in the character of impulse, and he had not yet arrived at the stage, wherein they become united again, in the character of prejudice, by the influence of a wife and family." (p.3)


The traditional definition of masculinity involves traits such as; independence, pride, resiliency, self control and physical strength. Gabriel not having a family and a wife yet, leads an independent life, not only physically but pschologically/mentally as well. At this age (28) his intellectual mechanisms are free from the weight of his emotions and from the influence of his surrounding. His mental functioning is sufficient for achieving self control. He is a man of sound judgement and stable mood.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder