Hi! Welcome to my blog. You can take your time reading my comments on quoted passages from classical novels. Now that I am working on "Far From the Madding Crowd"/Thomas Hardy (Bantam Classic). I am not a teacher nor a student, only a reader of a sort. I just want to share my delight, perception and thinking in reading classical novels. Let me give you a secret. This is the first time that I am doing such a literary work. I will be delightful to receive your comments.

31 Mayıs 2010 Pazartesi






"There was also a cat in a willow basket, from the partly-opened lid of which she gazed with half-closed eyes, and affectionately surveyed the small birds around." (p.4)


Here “the cat in willow basket” represents lust or libido, that has not displayed its real power or found the courage to show its strength yet. If we define it in terms of the psychic forces it may symbolize id. Though it seems to be inert, (with its half-closed eyes), it is searching for the appropriate time and target. In order to avoid superego, or other self-controling mechanizms, it will manifest itself not directly but in a tricky, deceptive way. Maybe it will make use of emotions like love and affection, that will be dominating at the conscious level. It masks itself, so that it won't be perceived as a destructive force, up untill it reaches its goal and satisfies its desire.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder