Hi! Welcome to my blog. You can take your time reading my comments on quoted passages from classical novels. Now that I am working on "Far From the Madding Crowd"/Thomas Hardy (Bantam Classic). I am not a teacher nor a student, only a reader of a sort. I just want to share my delight, perception and thinking in reading classical novels. Let me give you a secret. This is the first time that I am doing such a literary work. I will be delightful to receive your comments.

7 Haziran 2010 Pazartesi



"The adjustment of the farmer's hazy conceptions of her charms to the portrait of herself she now presented him with was less a diminution than a difference." (p.18)


Though he smartened her up in his mind, he is ready to realize the gap between her actual features and the embellished mental image he ascribed to her in his mind. This gives also some clues about his character as a prudent and moderate man. His imagination or fantasies are not at an extreme level. He wants to know her. He is eager to modify his opinions, thoughts according to her actual reality. In that adjustment, there is no dissappointment but a diminution. There is no downfall in his imagination, but a decrease at a measurable level.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder