Hi! Welcome to my blog. You can take your time reading my comments on quoted passages from classical novels. Now that I am working on "Far From the Madding Crowd"/Thomas Hardy (Bantam Classic). I am not a teacher nor a student, only a reader of a sort. I just want to share my delight, perception and thinking in reading classical novels. Let me give you a secret. This is the first time that I am doing such a literary work. I will be delightful to receive your comments.

5 Haziran 2010 Cumartesi



"It was with some surprise that she saw Gabriels face rising like the moon behind the hedge” (p. 18)


I guess that the girl was affected from Gabriel at the first sight. But she is not aware of that yet. She perceives it as a state of surprise at the level of consciousness. Beceause it is not a natural barrier, the hedge, as a hand made enclosure may signify external or internal conditions that restrict the girl (perhaps as a defense mechanism) in several aspects, limiting her freedom. Gabriel face is seen like the moon. Probably he will unexpectedly illuminate her gloomy state and loosen the ties that restrict her. With the rising moon, a new state of mind, a new conviction, optimism, peace will emerge.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder