Hi! Welcome to my blog. You can take your time reading my comments on quoted passages from classical novels. Now that I am working on "Far From the Madding Crowd"/Thomas Hardy (Bantam Classic). I am not a teacher nor a student, only a reader of a sort. I just want to share my delight, perception and thinking in reading classical novels. Let me give you a secret. This is the first time that I am doing such a literary work. I will be delightful to receive your comments.

11 Haziran 2010 Cuma



"Gabriel, perhaps a little piqued by the comely traveller’s indifference, glanced back to where he had witnessed her performance over the hedge and said “vanity” (p.7)


In order to eliminate the conflict between the girl and the gate-keeper, he gave two pence from his pocket. At the surface, we can think that he is a peace-loving, even tempered man. (Maybe he is, but!). Here, he wanted to gain something in return. He had the intention to learn something very valuable for him. Maybe this is the first time Gabriel is questioning the masculine impact he awakens on the opposite sex. He was trying to assess his impressiveness from the eyes of the charming girl. But he was demoralized by the girl’s apathic response: namely, disinterest. His peacemaking was not convincing! Probably the girl sensed the real intention behind the so called generous manner, by the caged canary! That’s why she was indifferent towards him.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder