Hi! Welcome to my blog. You can take your time reading my comments on quoted passages from classical novels. Now that I am working on "Far From the Madding Crowd"/Thomas Hardy (Bantam Classic). I am not a teacher nor a student, only a reader of a sort. I just want to share my delight, perception and thinking in reading classical novels. Let me give you a secret. This is the first time that I am doing such a literary work. I will be delightful to receive your comments.

14 Haziran 2010 Pazartesi


“There was a bright air and manner about her now, by which she seemed to imply that the desirability of her existence could not be questioned; and this rather saucy assumption failed in being offensive because a beholder felt it to be, upon the whole, true.” (p.18)

The narcissistic trait the girl has, I mean “vanity”, stems from the conviction that she has a beautiful face and charming appearance. This notion is not unfounded or groundless. It is also reinforced by external stimuli. Her narcissistic self image is strengthened by attention and feedback she gets from outside. Perhaps the feedback she receives from others gives her the assurance and opportunity to display her beauty as an undeniable reality. The joyful manners indicate her courage to imply it to the eyes of many. To imply something can sometimes be offensive. Because by subjective perception we decide one is desirable or not. Otherwise you intervene that subjectivity and impose something against free judgement.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder