Hi! Welcome to my blog. You can take your time reading my comments on quoted passages from classical novels. Now that I am working on "Far From the Madding Crowd"/Thomas Hardy (Bantam Classic). I am not a teacher nor a student, only a reader of a sort. I just want to share my delight, perception and thinking in reading classical novels. Let me give you a secret. This is the first time that I am doing such a literary work. I will be delightful to receive your comments.

15 Haziran 2010 Salı



"He heard what seemed to be the flitting of a dead leaf upon the breeze and looked. She had gone away." (p.21)

The metaphoric expression such as “flitting of a dead leaf upon the breeze” may evoke thoughts about weakness, avoidance, submission or alteration and so on…Gabriel without seeing the girl going away, just by hearing her departure, had enough time to use his imagination. In this critical moment, the imagination spontaneously interferes and presents a relevant and meaningful picture of the incident. Metaphoric elements taken from the nature stand out in this mental description. Change is natural in nature. Something disappears but never fades away totally. It transforms into something else with a different appearance. Actually there is no place for despair and hopelessness. Nature must have an apparent influence on Gabriels psychic world and sustains and strengthens the integrity of his mental life.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder